If you’ve been experiencing sudden urges to move while in bed trying to sleep and otherwise, you may have Restless Legs Syndrome (RSL) – a disorder of a part of the nervous system that causes uncomfortable sensations, and as a result, an urge to move the legs.
Statistics tell us that around 10% of the population suffer from RLS, and although it may affect both women and men, it does appear that women are more prone to this disorder. Additionally, even though RLS affects more middle-aged and older adults, it’s not uncommon in children too.
Symptoms of RLS
The main symptom of RLS is an irresistible urge to move legs (but other parts of the body too). This symptom is usually accompanied by some of the following symptoms:
- Uncomfortable sensations in legs, such as pain, itching, crawling, creeping
- Nighttime leg twitching
- Inability to sleep and a desire to move
- A feeling of relief after moving.
Causes of RLS
Although the exact causes of RLS are yet unknown, it’s clear that genetic predispositions play a part – about half of people with the disorder have a family member with the condition. But there are other factors associated with the development of RLS, including:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Certain medications, such as certain antidepressants and allergy drugs.
To treat RLS means to treat its symptoms – if you manage to treat your potential chronic diseases such as diabetes, anemia, etc., you may be able to dramatically ease RLS’ symptoms.
Lifestyle changes definitely can help:
- Start exercising regularly
- Start having regular sleeping patterns
- Decrease or completely eliminate the consumption of caffeine and alcohol
- Have regular leg- or whole body massages
- Have regular hot baths before going to bed.
Other than this, you can also try some of the natural remedies, such as drinking calming teas before going to bed. The following recipe is supposed to be especially effective at relieving the RLS’ symptoms:
- 1 TBS dried chamomile flowers
- 1 TBS dried rose hip tea
- 1 tsp raw honey (optional)
- ½ lemon.
Take a large mug of water, pour it into a pot and boil it. Once it boils, remove from heat and add the chamomile and rose hip. Let the mixture stay for 15 minutes, then strain, and add the juice of a lemon and raw honey. Mix and drink up before going to bed (make it a nightly habit).