Nocino is an aromatic, sweet liquor made from green walnuts that originates from Italy. Besides its delicious, almost decadent taste, Nocino has many health benefits. Some of them are:
- Settles bellyache
- Improves thyroid function
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases antioxidant capacity in the body
- Supports liver function
- Fights bacteria, fungi and viruses.
How to Make Nocino
Making Nocino is pretty easy and actually quite fun. For starters, you’ll need some green walnuts, an alcoholic beverage like vodka and some flavorings. Also, prepare one or two (depending on how much Nocino you want to make) large glass containers.
- 20-30 green walnuts
- 1 liter of high-quality vodka
- 300 g of honey or 2 cups of brown sugar
- Spices such as vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon or orange zest or even a few espresso beans (or a little bit of everything!).
- Get fresh green walnuts, wash them properly and cut them into halves if they’re small, or quarters if they’re large. You’ll want to be very careful with this because the juice from fresh walnuts can stain your hands and clothes.
- Take one large glass container and put your cut walnuts with honey/sugar in there. Now add the spices and flavorings of your choice and stir the mixture. Finally, pour vodka over everything (the mixture should be submersed).
- Seal the jar, mix well and put it in a sunny place for 40 – 45 days. Make sure you shake the container from time to time, ideally once per day.
- After 40-45 days, strain the mixture well (strain it two or three times). The result should be a clear, dark brown, reddish liquor that tastes and smells delicious.
Nocino is best consumed in small doses (it is an alcoholic beverage after all!), one or two shot glasses a day. You can take it as an aperitif, or even a tablespoon before each meal.