What is the pH (potential of hydroxide) of the human body and why does it matter? In general, the pH scale ranges from 1 to 14, with 7 being neutral, 1 highly acidic and 14 highly alkaline. The human body varies in its acidity/alkalinity: our blood is slightly alkaline with a pH between 7.35 and 7.45, while our stomachs are highly acidic with a pH of 3.5 because they need to be able to digest food.
Recent research suggests that an imbalance of acidity and alkalinity is – at least partially – what causes disease and compromises the immune system. Because pH of 7 is perfectly neutral, ideally, we want our body pH to be slightly alkaline, ranging from 7.30 to 7.45. This is the most optimal state for the human body, and what allows it to heal and develop a strong immune system.
So how do we get there?
Things That Raise Acidity in The Body
First things first, you want to avoid consuming and doing things that raise the acidity in the body. These include:
- Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol
- Smoking cigarettes
- Drinking excessive amounts of milk and eating too much dairy
- Eating too much meat
- Eating overly-processed foods
- Drinking too much coffee
- Eating too much peanuts and other nuts
- Exercising too much (increases cortisol)
- Being over-stressed for long periods of time
Things That Raise Alkalinity in The Body
Once you start lowering your body pH (most people are overly acidic) by avoiding foods and things that raise acidity, it’s time to start doing things that actually increase body alkalinity. These include:
- Eating lots of raw veggies (especially green veggies such as spinach and kale)
- Eating lots of raw fruits (especially citrus fruits)
- Consuming fiber-rich foods
- Drinking lots of water (spring water is the best)
- Drinking green tea
- Drinking lemon tea/water (no sugar!)
- Exercising regularly
What Balancing Your pH Can Help You With
When you start taking care of your whole body, including the pH of your body, you will start noticing wonderful things. For one, you’ll feel better and more energized, two, you’ll sleep better and feel more rested throughout the day, and three, you will look better (especially your skin)!
Besides this, lowering the acidity and increasing the alkalinity of your body can help you:
- Boost your digestive health
- Boost your immune system health
- Increase your bone health
- Get rid of asthma, congestion and allergies
- Get rid of skin problems, including acne
- Prevent cancer, diabetes, heart disease and other serious diseases.