If you love sweet baked goods but want to eat healthily and keep your figure trim, we have some great news for you – there is a way you can have your cake and eat it too. The recipe we’re sharing today contains no white sugar, no gluten flour and no added fat or oil. It’s instead packed with healthy ingredients that make this treat not only incredibly nutritious, but delicious too.
Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
This tasty bread-like treat is naturally sweetened, easy to make and tastes absolutely fantastic. Here is what you need to prepare it:
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups gluten-free flour such as almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free hazelnut spread (it can be sweetened with stevia)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt.
- First, preheat your oven to 400F.
- Grate zucchini and put it aside in a bowl.
- Mix eggs, flour, cocoa, hazelnut spread, honey, vanilla and salt in a bowl and blend well.
- Add ACV and baking soda to the mix and stir well.
- Now take your grated zucchini and drain the excess liquid. Add the veggie to the batter, mixing and blending it all together.
- Grease a pan, pour the batter in and bake for about 30 minutes, depending on your oven. To check if it’s done, stick a toothpick right in the center of the loaf – if it comes out clean, it’s done; if it doesn’t, let it bake some more.
This chocolate loaf is packed with vitamins, minerals, various antioxidants and healthy fats. To break it down, here are the most important health benefits:
Zucchini is low in calories but is loaded with vitamins A, C and B complex, as well as dietary fiber. It’s anti-inflammatory, excellent for digestion, heart health and helps control blood pressure.
Cocoa is abundant in various antioxidants which are anti-inflammatory and have anticancer properties. It’s great for mood, energy, brain and heart health and even skin health too.
ACV helps control blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity. It’s also fantastic for weight loss.
Eggs are high in healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids, as well as protein and vitamin B complex. They’re also a great source of choline, which is important for brain health, muscle development and a healthy metabolism.