Cocoa, the main ingredient of chocolate, is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic substance that is loaded with various beneficial ingredients, including antioxidants, polyphenols, flavanols, minerals and vitamins. This superfood has many health benefits, including:
- Boosts mood and memory,
- Fights cancer,
- Promotes heart health,
- Increases antioxidant capacity in the body,
- Improves cholesterol,
- Promotes brain health.
But that’s not all – did you know that cocoa is one of the best ingredients for skin health? That’s right, the bioactive compounds in cocoa have been shown to protect the skin against harmful UV radiation and boost skin health.
DIY Chocolate Face Mask
Thanks to a bunch of beneficial compounds found in cocoa, you can make a really simple but supremely effective face mask that can help you:
- Fight acne
- Hydrate your skin
- Even out your skin tone
- Brighten your complexion.
The other ingredient of this face mask is yogurt, which has been used for beauty purposes for thousands of years (even Cleopatra used it!). Yogurt contains lactic acid which can gently exfoliate your skin, minimizing fine lines and wrinkles and acne breakouts and scars.
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons plain yogurt.
Mix the two ingredients in a bowl, making sure you blend the mixture well. There should be no lumps left – the final result should be a smooth, chocolate-y mixture.
How to Use The Chocolate Mask
This simple but highly effective face mask should be used at least once a week, but if you want to get the best results (less acne, better hydrated and more even-toned skin), use it every other day, preferably before going to bed.
- Before you apply the mask, make sure your skin is thoroughly cleansed. If you’ve been wearing makeup, make sure it’s all removed and your skin is cleansed with a gentle water-based cleanser.
- On dry skin, apply a thick layer of the Chocolate mask evenly everywhere except your lip and eye area.
- Relax for 10-15 minutes and let the mask do its job.
- Rinse the mask thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat dry your face. If you have dry skin, follow with a light moisturizer.